Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Sandy Hook

I only usually blog about our little family, but this event has hit close to home for me since I am a teacher and a parent. After learning about the shooting at the school, I started thinking about how I was going to approach the situation with my kids (students). Because they are old enough to have serious questions/concerns, I really had to think and pray about what to say to them. On Monday, I only had one student ask me about it, and she came up to my desk to ask privately. I was actually surprised that she was the one who had questions.  She worries about everything, so I was surprised her parents let her watch the news.

Later in the week more and more students had questions.  Some did not want to talk about it all.  We did make snowflakes to the Connecticut PTSA to use as decorations for the new school the Sandy Hook students will be attending.  It is still hard to believe that something so terrible could happen at an elementary school. It has definitely increased discussions on school safety.  I can't even imagine what those parents are going through.  I am so proud of those teachers and faculty members though.  They did everything they could to protect their students.

No comments:

Post a Comment