Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, May 6, 2013

Welcome Baby Brooks!

Evan Brooks Van Heule was born at 2:14 pm on Monday, May 6. He weighed seven pounds even and was 19 inches long!

Tim and I got to AnMed around 5:00am.  After finally getting checked in, we went back to the room at 5:30. The nurse who was there when I delivered Jackson got me all hooked up to the monitors and my IV placed. I was checked and already dilated to 3cm (I was 2cm on Friday). Then they started my pitocin. Dr. Hearn came in around 7:30 and was ready to break my water. Thankfully, I had a wonderful nurse, Cristina (whose daughter happened to be in my class last year), and she convinced him to wait until after I got the epidural. Things got slow while waiting for the epidural.  There was an emergency, so I had to wait my turn. I finally got the epidural.  Thankfully, my contractions had not been that bad. They were tolerable.

I did feel lots better after the epidural.  Dr. Hearn came to break my water, and I was dilated to 6. I was kind of disappointed.  I wanted to be further along.  This was around 12:00.  Cristina guessed that the baby would be here before 5:00. Even though I couldn't feel the contractions, I could definitely feel the pressure. I used the monitor every time I felt the pressure to check my contractions. I was checked again about 1:45, and I was at 9 cm.   I was shocked!  Then the room got crazy busy as they set up everything for delivery. I started pushing at 2:04 and Brooks was here at 2:14. (That is much better than the 3 hours with Jackson!) Brooks came out crying and covered in white cheesiness! Then it was time for Tim to cut the cord. Brooks then started peeing on Dr. Hearn. My mom missed the picture, so they staged it again. Then he peed all over me! They took him over, wiped him off, and weighed him.  I can't believe he was onl 7 pounds.  Even Dr. Hearn was suprised at how tiny he was!  I finally got to hold him while they cleaned up the room. My mom went out to see Dad,  Tu Tu, Kristi, and Jackson. Tim and I spent some time with Brooks before they moved us to our new room. Even though it has only been 2 years, they have changed the whole delivery process.
















We got settled in our new room and waited for the baby nurse. She came in and did all of his measurements and gave him a bath. He was having trouble with his temperature, so he stayed under the warmer for awhile. Finally a little after 4 everyone came in the room. My mom, dad, and Jackson did catch the end of the bath.  Jackson was unsure of the whole situation. He wanted nothing to do with the baby. (Jackson had a very busy day with Tu Tu and Kristi. He was spoiled rotten!)






Everyone took turns holding him. I actually felt really good after this delivery. It was so different from Jackson's.









Jackson got tired, so everyone left.  Cookie and Alexa came over later. They were there when Paula, our nurse, was giving Jackson his hearing test.  All of the test are now given in the room. They hardly ever take them to the nursery.  Brooks passed his hearing test.  Paula was a great nurse. She was very personable and really helpful.






Brooks had a pretty good night.  I let Tim sleep through the night except when I needed to get Brooks. For most of the time, I just held Brooks though.

We had a great first day with Brooks.  We are so blessed with another precious son!

No comments:

Post a Comment